The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji has this morning released a statement recommending 14 current and former officers of Samburu County Government be charged for fraud.
On the 20th February, 2019, the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission detectives raided the houses of Samburu County governor Moses Kasaine over Kes. 2 billion expenditure that is believed to have been misappropriated.
EACC went on to release a press statement stating the county leaders formed companies that they used to award themselves tenders worth over Kes. 700 million.
READ: EACC Releases Statement on the Raid at Samburu County Governor Moses Kasaine’s Residences over Kes. 2 Billion Fraud
The case was forwarded to the DPP.
Below is DPP’s full statement in text, released today.
PRESS STATEMENT INVESTIGATIONS INTO FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES OF SAMBURU COUNTY GOVERNMENT OFFICERS
- Pursuant to complaints received from concerned members of the public in February 2019, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) commenced investigations into the financial dealings of the Governor and Chief Officers of Samburu County.
- The investigations established that the Governor, Moses Kasaine Lenolkulal was trading with the County Government through Oryx Service Station for the supply of fuel since the 27. March 2013 to date. The Govemor failed and or neglected to disclose his interest in the said Service Station. It is clear that the Governor engaged in conduct that is expressly prohibited in law and in clear violation of the constitutional principles governing the conduct of public and State Officers.
- During the period in question, Oryx Service Station received a total of Ksh. 84,695,996.55/= from the County Government. The aforesaid amount was shared between the Governor and his proxy Hesbon Ndathi. The payment received by the said Service Station was facilitated by the Chief Officers in contravention of the law.
- I have reviewed the file and I am satisfied that the persons named therein actively participated in the perpetration of criminal activities and should therefore he charged and prosecuted for the following offences: i. Conspiracy to commit an economic crime: ii. Abuse of Office and iii. Conflict of Interest.
- Accordingly, I have directed prosecution to ensue against the following persons: i. Moses Kasaine Lenolkulal — the Governor, Samburu County; ii. Julius Leseeto — Deputy Governor, Samburu County; iii. Stephen Letinina — County Secretary; iv. Daniel Lenolkirina — Chief Officer Finance; v. Josephine Lenasalia — Former Chief Officer, Environment and Natural Resources; vi. Reuben Lemunyete — Chief Officer Department of Agriculture, Livestock & Fisheries Development; vii. Linus LenoIngenje — Former Chief Officer Education; viii. Paul Lolminani — Chief Officer transport and Public Works; ix. Benard Lesurmat — Chief Officer Lands, Housing and Urban Development; x. Lilian Baluga — Former Chief Officer Gender, Culture and Social Services: xi. Andrew Lanyasunya — Chief Officer Gender, Culture and Social Services; xii. David Loosenge – Chief Officer Sports and Youth xiii. Geoffrey Kitewan — Head Supply Chain Management; xiv. Hesbon Ndathi — Businessman.
NOORDIN M. HAJI
DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC PROSECUTIONS
Dated: 1st April, 2019
Would you like to get published on this Popular Blog? You can now email Cyprian Nyakundi any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected] Videos and pictures can be sent to +254 710 280 973 on WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram.