Mac Dark Mode is a cool feature that transforms your Mac’s appearance from light to dark.
It is not only stylish but also reduces eye strain and improves battery life.
However, it can sometimes cause compatibility issues with certain apps and websites.
Don’t worry, this simple guide will show you how to enable or disable Dark Mode on different macOS versions like Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra.
We will also answer common questions, including adjusting brightness and contrast, automatic switching between light and dark modes, using Dark Mode for specific apps or websites, and troubleshooting tips.
Get ready to learn some handy tricks to customize your Dark Mode experience, such as changing colors, using Night Shift or True Tone, mastering shortcuts, and exploring Dark Mode-friendly apps and themes.
How to Make Mac Dark Mode on Different Versions of macOS
There are two main ways to enable or disable Mac dark mode on different versions of macOS: through System Preferences or through Control Center.
Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, depending on your preference and convenience.
How to Make Mac Dark Mode through System Preferences
This is the most common and reliable way to enable or disable dark mode on any version of macOS.
You can do it on any device that has a macOS operating system, such as a MacBook, iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro.
- Click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen and select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- On the System Preferences window, click on General.
- On the General window, you will see a section called Appearance. Here you can choose between Light, Dark, or Auto modes. Light mode is the default mode that has a bright and white background. Dark mode is the mode that has a dark and black background. Auto mode is the mode that automatically switches between light and dark modes based on the time of day.
- To enable Mac dark mode, click on Dark. To disable it, click on Light. To switch between light and dark modes automatically, click on Auto.
- You will see the changes take effect immediately on your screen. You can also close the System Preferences window.
How to enable or disable Mac dark mode in Control Center
This is another convenient way to enable or disable this feature on some versions of macOS, such as Big Sur and Catalina.
However, this method may not work on older versions of macOS, such as Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra.
- Click on the Control Center icon at the top right corner of the screen. It looks like two horizontal lines with circles inside them.
- On the Control Center menu, you will see a section called Display. Here you can adjust the brightness, night shift, true tone, and appearance settings of your screen.
- To enable or disable Mac dark mode, click on Appearance. You will see two options: Light and Dark. Light mode is the default mode that has a bright and white background. Dark mode is the mode that has a dark and black background.
- To enable Mac dark mode, click on Dark. To disable it, click on Light.
- You will see the changes take effect immediately on your screen. You can also close the Control Center menu.
These are the two main ways to enable or disable Mac dark mode on different versions of macOS.
You can choose any of them depending on your preference and convenience.
In this article, I have provided a comprehensive guide on how to make Mac Dark Mode work on various macOS versions, including Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, and Sierra.
I have also answered common questions about adjusting brightness and contrast, enabling automatic mode switching, using Dark Mode for specific apps or websites, and troubleshooting common issues.
Tips and tricks to optimize your Mac Dark Mode experience, such as customizing appearance and accent colors, utilizing features like Night Shift or True Tone, mastering keyboard shortcuts and menu bar icons, and finding Dark Mode-compatible apps and themes.
I hope you found this helpful and engaging.
Feel free to leave any questions or feedback in the comments section below.
For more tech tips and tricks, browse through the content in our website.
Zowan Fayzan is a seasoned blogger specializing in news, entertainment, and celebrity biographies. With an informative and engaging writing style, he offers readers an inside look at the lives of the rich and famous.