Famous George Clooney Movies and TV Shows You Cannot Miss: A Must-Watch List
George Clooney is one of the most celebrated actors of our time.
He has won two Oscars, four Golden Globes, and countless other accolades for his diverse and captivating roles.
From his breakthrough in ER to his latest venture in The Midnight Sky, he has proven himself as a versatile and charismatic performer.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of his must-see films and shows, grouped by genre and era.
Whether you’re a fan of action, comedy, drama, or romance, there’s a Clooney classic for you.
Clooney is no stranger to adrenaline-fueled thrillers.
He has starred in several films that keep you on the edge of your seat, with complex plots, intense performances, and stunning visuals.
Here are some of his best:
- Syriana (2005): Clooney won an Oscar for his role as a CIA operative in this geopolitical thriller that explores the corruption and power struggles in the oil industry. He gained 35 pounds and grew a beard for the part, showing his dedication and transformation as an actor.
- Michael Clayton (2007): Clooney plays a “fixer” for a law firm who gets involved in a dangerous case involving a chemical company and a whistleblower. The film is a gripping and suspenseful drama, with Clooney delivering a nuanced and compelling performance.
- The American (2010): Clooney stars as an assassin who hides out in a small Italian town, where he befriends a priest and falls in love with a prostitute. The film is a stylish and atmospheric thriller, with Clooney portraying a conflicted and lonely character.
- Gravity (2013): Clooney co-stars with Sandra Bullock in this sci-fi thriller, where they play astronauts who are stranded in space after a catastrophic accident. The film is a visual masterpiece, with stunning effects and cinematography. Clooney provides a calm and reassuring presence, as well as some comic relief, in contrast to Bullock’s frantic and emotional character.
- The Midnight Sky (2020): Clooney directs and stars in this post-apocalyptic thriller, where he plays a scientist who tries to warn a returning spaceship of a global catastrophe. The film is a bleak and poignant exploration of humanity, isolation, and hope. Clooney gives a powerful and moving performance, as well as a convincing portrayal of an aging and ill man.
He has starred in several films that showcase his chemistry with his co-stars, his comedic timing, and his ability to make us swoon, such as:
- One Fine Day (1996): Clooney co-stars with Michelle Pfeiffer in this delightful rom-com, where they play single parents who have to juggle their careers and kids. The film is a fun and heartwarming story, with Clooney and Pfeiffer sparking off each other with witty banter and sweet moments.
- Out of Sight (1998): Clooney plays a bank robber who falls in love with a federal agent, played by Jennifer Lopez, in this stylish and sexy rom-com. The film is a clever and entertaining adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s novel, with Clooney and Lopez sizzling on screen with their flirtatious and fiery dialogue.
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000): Clooney stars as a fugitive who escapes from a chain gang and goes on a musical odyssey in the 1930s South in this quirky and hilarious rom-com.
- Intolerable Cruelty (2003): Clooney plays a divorce lawyer who falls for a golddigger, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, in this witty and wacky rom-com. The film is a screwball comedy, with Clooney and Zeta-Jones engaging in a battle of the sexes with hilarious and unexpected twists and turns.
- The Proposal (2009): Clooney co-stars with Sandra Bullock in this charming and funny rom-com, where they play a boss and an employee who pretends to be engaged to avoid deportation.
Clooney is also adept at tackling serious and complex dramas.
Here are some of his best:
- Good Night and Good Luck (2005): Clooney directs and co-stars in this historical drama, where he plays a CBS producer who supports a journalist who confronts Senator McCarthy during the Red Scare. The film is a riveting and relevant account of the role of media and politics in society.
- The Descendants (2011): Clooney plays a father who has to deal with his wife’s coma and his daughters’ problems, as well as a family land dispute, in this touching and tragic drama. The film is a realistic and emotional portrayal of grief, family, and identity, with Clooney giving a subtle and authentic performance.
- The Ides of March (2011): Clooney directs and co-stars in this political drama, where he plays a presidential candidate who gets involved in a scandal and a betrayal. The film is a cynical and compelling exploration of the dark side of politics.
- Up in the Air (2009): Clooney plays a corporate downsizer who travels around the country firing people while living a detached and lonely life in this poignant and witty drama.
- The Monuments Men (2014): Clooney directs and stars in this historical drama, where he plays the leader of a team of experts who try to save art and cultural treasures from the Nazis during World War II. The film is a noble and inspiring tribute to the heroes who risked their lives for the sake of humanity, with Clooney showing his passion and dedication as a filmmaker.
Beyond the Big Screen
Clooney’s career is not limited to the big screen.
He has also made a mark on the small screen as well as behind the camera. Here are some of his notable ventures:
- ER (1994–1999): Clooney’s breakout role was as Dr. Doug Ross, a charming and rebellious pediatrician, in this popular and acclaimed medical drama. He won an Emmy and two Golden Globes for his role and he became a household name and a heartthrob.
- Catch-22 (2019): Clooney produces, directs, and co-stars in this miniseries, based on the classic novel by Joseph Heller. He plays a military officer who oversees a group of pilots during World War II who face absurd and dangerous situations. The series is a satirical and dark comedy, with Clooney showing his versatility and talent as a filmmaker.
- The Midnight Sky (2020): Clooney produces, directs, and stars in this film, based on the novel by Lily Brooks-Dalton. He plays a scientist who tries to warn a returning spaceship of a global catastrophe. The film is a bleak and poignant exploration of humanity, isolation, and hope. Clooney gives a powerful and moving performance, as well as a convincing portrayal of an aging and ill man.
Clooney’s Captivating Charm
Clooney is not only a talented and accomplished actor and filmmaker but also has a charming and charismatic personality.
He has a reputation for being a prankster, a humanitarian, and a gentleman.
Clooney has been involved in various causes, such as the Darfur conflict, the Haiti earthquake, and the Armenian genocide.
He has also been married to Amal Clooney, a human rights lawyer, since 2014, and they have twins, Ella and Alexander.
DeMille Award for his contributions to cinema.
Clooney is a Hollywood legend who has entertained and inspired us with his films and shows.
He has shown us his range and depth as an actor and a filmmaker, as well as his charm and charisma as a person.
He is a true star who deserves our admiration and appreciation.
What are your favorite Clooney moments or recommendations?
Share them in the comments below, and don’t forget to check out our other articles on our blog page.
Thank you for reading and hope you have learned something about George Clooney movies and TV shows.
- Beyond the Veil: Unraveling the Secrets of Harry Potter’s Parents
- Arlene Silver Wikipedia, Age, Children, Net Worth, Husband
- Lauren Graham: The Star of Gilmore Girls, Parenthood, and More
- Chris Hemsworth Movies: Beyond the Mighty Thor